2023-07-13
this guy is going all out for science
为了科学全力以赴
Caring about your appearance matters
关注你的外表很重要
matter(v. 重要)
stylish 新潮的、雅
subtle 微妙的
As much as Reddit may disagree society as a whole puts a great value in this
尽管 reddit 不同意社会对此十分重视
as a whole 作为一个整体
put a great value in this 对此十分重视
Taking proper care of yourself shows that you can care for others and are willing to make an effort.
妥善照顾自己表明您可以关心他人并愿意付出努力
proper 恰当的
I think its nuts how many people are willing to die on this hill of “I don’t care what society thinks of me.”
我想,有多少人愿意死在这座“我不在乎社会怎么看我”的山丘上,这简直是疯了。
fulfilled life 充实的生活
have a hard time making friends 很难交朋友
it made a world of difference 这让世界变得不同
You can complain all you want that the world is shallow but it’s always been that way and I dont forsee it changing.
你可以随心所欲地抱怨世界是肤浅的,但它一直都是这样,我不会忘记它的变化。
I agree with you 100% in principle
我原则上 100% 同意你的看法
this type of thinking frustrates me to no end
这种想法让我无休止地感到沮丧
However, I think you’ve put too much emphasis on ‘dressing well’ = ‘societal acceptance’ as too absolute, I want to draw you an example of where it might be beneficial to deviate.
但是,我认为你过分强调“穿得好”=“社会接受度”太绝对了,我想给你举一个例子,说明偏离的地方可能是有益的。
it’s going wrong because they are too stuck in their ways
而它出错了,因为他们太固执己见了
too stuck in their ways 固执己见
If you want to shake up the system and make changes, why would you dress in a fulls suit according to the dressing norms that are expected?
如果你想动摇体制并做出改变,你为什么要按照预期的着装规范穿全套西装?
flamboyant 华丽的
I am not attempting to argue that. 我并不是想争论这一点
But I don’t think this is as monolithic as you framed it, just some food for thought!
但我不认为这像你想象的那样铁板一块,只是一些值得深思的东西!
monolithic 铁板一块、整体的、巨石的
framed 陷害、编织、框架
2023-07-14
He used his Asian intelligence to find a way gauge her size
他利用自己的亚洲智慧找到了衡量她体型的方法